I’m running for election in my university student union at the University of York! It’s like being in an Armando Iannucci show. Here’s my campaign profile:
I’m Edi and I’d love to be your next Welfare and Community officer.
I’m a third year Sociology student and former Langwith Student Association Welfare officer. I’ve also been on the Christian Union Events Week committee two years in a row, and helped organise the recent ‘Something More’ week which was attended by over 1500 throughout the week. I’m really friendly and approachable and I love meeting new people.
Here’s my manifesto:
I want to help students get better at looking after themselves by:
- Shifting students’ focus to being healthy and successful, rather than just crisis management
- Making it easier and clearer to know how and when to seek support and guidance through appropriate channels (even if it’s just the support of friends!)
- Working with the Student Support hub, college welfare teams, JCRCs/SAs and societies. We have so many forms of support and I want us to make the best use of them.
- Providing extra support for students with responsibilities during high stress periods
COMFORT AND SAFETY
I want to continue to make campus a safe, comfortable and convenient place to be:
- Support for Nightsafe and similar services provided by local groups and the council
- Providing food and snacks on campus during high stress times
- Things like campus lockers have worked well. I want to do more. I’ll be looking at increasing access to microwaves and kettles on campus
We all live in York, but we don’t necessarily engage with the city:
- Increasing students’ integration with the city e.g. through volunteering
- Showcasing the great academic and non-academic work students do through e.g. festivals
- Build up the reputation of students and have a better relationship with residents
I want to encourage diversity in student leadership by:
- Working with the liberation networks and societies to encourage, empower and train minorities for leadership in societies, JCRCs/SAs, YUSU etc.
- Continuing to celebrate diversity through campaigns and events like Black History Month, LGBTQ history month etc
I want to enhance the college welfare system by:
- Providing targeted support and training for welfare officers
- Making the role clearer and more consistent throughout the colleges
Well done if you made it through all of that! *applauds*
Now don’t forget to vote!!